Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Communications Specialist
About Pasa Sustainable Agriculture:
We're a community of farmers and supporters, focused on education and evidence-based research, for the purpose of building a more economically-just, environmentally-regenerative, and community-focused food system.
We’re seeking a part-time Communications Specialist to support Pasa’s communications activities. An ideal candidate for this position is intimately familiar with farming and food system topics, and is a well-rounded communicator who possesses a diverse array of communications skills—including writing and editing, marketing, media relations, and creative media coordination and/or production (graphic design, video editing, photography). While we don’t expect you to be an expert in all of these areas, you should have a willingness to learn and continuously develop your skills. This position reports to the Communications Strategist.
This is a part time, primarily remote position with some in-office workdays (typically in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania or surrounding areas), as public health guidelines and internal organization policy permits in response to the coronavirus pandemic. All employees are required to attend our annual Sustainable Agriculture Conference, which takes place each February in Lancaster, Pennsylvania (if held in person). Employee must comply with Pasa’s remote employee policies.
- Promote year-round educational events, including annual conference, through a variety of communication channels (email, social media, website, advertising, etc.)
- Coordinate and support the development of a variety of communications materials, including but not limited to reports, research briefs, webinars, blog posts, press releases, emails newsletter and campaigns, brochures, flyers, social media graphics, website content, mailers, and advertisements
- Write, edit, and proofread copy
- Identify photos and images to incorporate into promotional materials
- Review materials for branding consistency
- Maintain photography and art databases
- Coordinate projects with printer and other vendors
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
- At least three years of professional experience in nonprofit communications, or the equivalent obtained through other relevant work
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Demonstrable ability to coordinate and produce professional-quality print and digital design products
- Ability to simultaneously manage several ongoing projects and meet production deadlines
- Competency with WordPress, Google Suite, and email marketing platforms
- Competency with Adobe Creative (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Photography skills
- Video production and/or video editing skills
- Social media experience
- Commitment to Pasa’s mission
Wage, Timing, and Additional Information:
This is a part-time (estimated 20 hours per week) salaried, primarily remote, one-year grant-funded position through June 2021, with the possibility for continued employment thereafter considering organizational needs and funding availability.
Negotiable annual compensation is $20,000–$25,000 depending on skills and experience. Other employment or contract work you intend to continue if hired should be disclosed during the hiring process.
Please submit a cover letter, your resume, and a link to an online portfolio and/or up to five examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 7. This position will remain open until filled; however we will conduct the first round of interviews based on applications received by August 7. The anticipated start date for this position is mid- to late-August.
We are passionate about effectively advancing our mission. We value employees who:
- share our passion and can clearly communicate the value of our work to others;
- consider how we can do things smarter and more efficiently;
- anticipate and address roadblocks or other challenges;
- stay current on trends in the field;
- embrace and accommodate change; and
- continuously advance their knowledge and skills through professional development.
About the job
|Date||14 July 2020|