Food System Professional Employment Opportunities
NAFSN regularly searches for food systems–related job opportunities from a dozen green job sites as well as COMFOODJOBS email list. Please note that this list is for professional or managerial positions only that pay at least a LIVING WAGE in your locale. Farm apprenticeships and internships are not included. Other farm management positions are welcome.
Job Detail: Organizing Director
About Pesticide Action Network:
PAN North America works with those on the frontlines of industrial agriculture—farmers, farmworkers, families with young children, Native people and rural communities— to create a just, thriving food system and tackle the health, economic, and environmental problems created by chemical-intensive farming. We are part of a global network that works to reclaim the future of food and farming from corporate interests. While we recognize the limitations of policy processes, we emphasize policy change in order to hold decision-makers—not individuals— responsible for the problems in our food system. Our theory of change also includes building power for transformational change, culture shifts and practice change as necessary strategies to reach our vision. Our organizational values are here: http://www.panna.org/
Pesticide Action Network (PAN) is seeking a creative, high-impact Organizing Director to lead PAN’s team of skilled organizers. The Organizing Director will coordinate the crafting and implementation of PAN’s organizing strategy, prioritizing deep collaboration with a diverse set of organizations and people who are determined to co-create a just, vibrant and resilient food system.
The Organizing Director will guide our team of organizers in ongoing exploration of organizing methodologies and approaches to accomplish our goals. They will also lead or participate in at least one campaign and co-direct PAN’s program team with other senior program staff. The position is rewarding, self-directed, and comes with caring colleagues and a supportive work environment. A full-time schedule is preferred, but we will consider candidates requesting slightly less than full-time. The position will be based in Minnesota, Iowa or California.
Leadership of Organizing Hub:
- Supervise organizers based in Minnesota, California and Iowa, including support with organizing strategy and tactics as well as professional development;
- Drive vision and strategy for the organizing team, through ongoing collaborative process;
- Develop and implement creative media strategies in collaboration with the Communications and Media Director and campaign team leads; and
- Ensure PAN’s programmatic and organizational accountability to our core constituency groups.
Shared program leadership:
- Cross-disciplinary coordination of program activities, working with Grassroots Science and Communications Hub Directors;
- Rotating leadership of the program team, including: driving program planning process; coordinating development and tracking of annual program budgets; and, participating in the organizational Management Team with the Executive Director and Managing Director.
Lead one of PAN’s multi-disciplinary campaign teams (current teams are Minnesota, Iowa, California, Hawaii, National and International)
- Coordinate the development and implementation of annual campaign plan;
- Build and maintain relationships with those directly affected, such as farmworkers, community-scale farmers, rural communities and Native and tribal organizations, to build power and advance shared campaign goals;
- Develop and hold relationships with decision-makers and influencers, such as legislators, state agencies, researchers, and health professionals;
- Act as a spokesperson and generate earned media on our issues and represent PAN in decision-making forums like legislative hearings, public meetings, etc.; and
- Write for traditional media and social media in regular blog posts, press releases, OpEds etc. to reframe public conversations.
- Work with PAN fundraising staff on grant reports and proposals; and
- Build and maintain relationships with funders, major donors and business supporters.
We are searching for an experienced organizer who is skilled at facilitating collaborative processes with grace and humility. The ideal candidate works well as part of a multiracial, multicultural and multidisciplinary team and thrives on both fast-paced campaign work and long term organizing for systemic change. They have experience confronting and working to dismantle racism and other forms of oppression within the food system and within our movements.
The ideal candidate brings several years of organizing experience in the food and farming space, and the ability to effectively lead a team of experienced organizers. We are seeking candidates who hold a deep commitment to racial, economic, environmental and social justice and bring a bold vision to their work, as well as an appetite for continued learning. The position will involve travel (as possible post-pandemic) for campaign work as well as in-person meetings and events with partners and staff. People of color and people who have roots in and/or experience working with, agricultural or rural communities are particularly urged to apply. Proficiency in Spanish is preferred.
Wage, Timing, and/or Additional Information:
Salary mid-60k to low-70k for a full-time position, depending on location and experience. PAN offers an extensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, life insurance, vacation and sick leave, and flexible scheduling.
Submit a letter of application describing your specific interest in and qualifications for this position, your resume and desired salary, and a brief writing sample on a job-relevant topic to email@example.com(link sends e-mail), including “Organizing Director” in the subject line. Please send documents as PDFs only. The position is open now and applications will be accepted until August 7th. Ideally, the new Organizing Director will start in September 2020. If you have questions about this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail).
As an organization actively working for racial justice, PAN embraces diversity and is committed to increasing diversity among our staff, board and volunteers. We are seeking individuals from a wide variety of ethnic, racial, social and economic backgrounds for this position. We strongly encourage people of color or with roots in other countries or cultures to apply. PAN does not discriminate against applicants or employees for reasons of race, color, disability, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, prior convictions, incarceration or age.
About the job
|Date||25 July 2020|