About Carteret Local Food Network
Carteret Local Food Network is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that exists to strengthen the connection between local food providers and local food consumers.
CLFN Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director is the key management leader of Carteret Local Food Network (CLFN). The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Collaboration: Works with the Board in order to fulfill our organization’s mission: to create a local food system that enhances our community, that supports our local economy, nurtures a healthy environment, and promotes locally produced food.
- Responsible for leading CLFN in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions. Official Board meetings will take place quarterly or be called as needed.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of CLFN, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintains the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible with the Board and Advisory Council for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support CLFN’s mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementing CLFN’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that CLFN can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for enhancing CLFN’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, private organizations and individuals.
4) Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for effective administration of CLFN’s operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into on behalf of the organization.
- Interface with and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups.
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Demonstrate experience and successful results with building and managing a start-up organization
- Some basic working knowledge of local food production and sales, and farming techniques
- Some senior nonprofit management experience
- Solid, hands-on, budget-management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of CLFN’s strategic future to staff, Board, volunteers, and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate Board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public-speaking ability
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures with the Board for Underground Farm and Learning Center and for any other employees of CLFN.
- Serving as CLFN’s primary spokesperson to our constituents, the media, and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with NCSU Agricultural Extension Office, local fishers/farmers, growers and distributors, and various organizations as deemed necessary throughout the state and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance CLFN’s Mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors and Advisory Council to seek their involvement in policy decisions and fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of CLFN throughout the community.
- Supervise, collaborate with CLFN staff and volunteers.
- Initiate and implement strategic planning.
- Participate in CLFN Board and Advisory Council meetings.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Salary commensurate with experience and other qualifications. This position should be considered as a part-time position though opportunities may exist to grow.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references in confidence to email@example.com, subject line ED Position, by September 30, 2017; if needed, this application period may be extended.