About The Food Research & Action Center:
The Food Research & Action Center (FRAC) seeks an experienced professional to
lead fundraising efforts for its state-based initiatives, D.C. Hunger
Solutions (DCHS) and Maryland Hunger Solutions (MDHS). These separately
staffed and budgeted projects advance FRAC’s mission by working in the
District of Columbia and Maryland to raise awareness of hunger, build
community support for ending hunger and improving nutrition, and make the
federal nutrition programs accessible to all those who are in need. Reporting
to FRAC’s Director of Development, the Development Associate – State
Initiatives will work closely with the Director of Development, the Senior
Manager of Foundation Relations, the directors of DCHS and MDHS, FRAC’s
President, and other development and program staff to conceptualize and
implement successful fundraising strategies for the state initiatives.
FRAC is the leading national nonprofit organization working to improve and
implement effective public policies and public-private partnerships to
eradicate hunger and undernutrition in the United States. FRAC engages in
research, policy analysis and advocacy, coalition building, outreach,
technical assistance and training, and an array of communications strategies.
In 2002, FRAC launched DCHS (housed at FRAC’s Washington, DC headquarters) to
combat hunger and improve nutrition in the District of Columbia. In 2007, FRAC
launched MDHS (based in Baltimore, Maryland), which has brought these same
proven advocacy, public policy, and public education strategies to the fight
against hunger in Maryland. (For more information on these state initiatives,
visit www.dchunger.org and www.mdhungersolutions.org.)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement proactive strategies for maximizing giving among
existing and prospective donors—including strengthening relationships with
current donors, conducting prospect research, and laying the groundwork for
cultivation by senior staff of new foundation, corporate, and major gift
- In collaboration with program and development staff, write compelling
proposals, letters of inquiry, and reports to select foundations and
- Ensure timely submission of proposals and reports.
- Manage D.C. Hunger Solutions and Maryland Hunger Solutions fundraising
strategy meetings and proposals and reports.
- Represent D.C. Hunger Solutions and Maryland Hunger Solutions at
select meetings and events.
- Plan and manage occasional fundraising events for prospective donors.
- Perform other duties as needed, including occasional grant writing for
national FRAC work and assisting with annual FRAC fundraising event.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in nonprofit development.
- Grant writing and reporting experience.
- Ability to understand and write clearly, quickly, and compellingly about complicated material and strategies.
- Expertise in working in organizational partnerships and balancing the needs of diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational, oral communication, and interpersonal skills
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong technology and computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and database management.
- Commitment to social justice work.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience; excellent health, dental, retirement, and other benefits; generous leave; enthusiastic and supportive staff.
To Apply: Send résumé, brief writing sample (no more than three pages), and cover letter providing a summary of accomplishments and experience to:
Development Associate – State Initiatives Search
Food Research & Action Center
1200 18th Street, NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036